With so many people taking advantage of on-line shopping and free quick shipping “Porch pirates” are more common than ever. There is a bounty of boxes on doorsteps year-round, especially during the holidays. Thieves are opportunists and they are always on the hunt for easy targets.
Tips to protect your gifts and prevent package theft any time of the year:
· Request a signature confirmation of delivery. By doing this, the carrier will have to wait until you are available. Request that deliveries require a signature. With most carriers, you can often set this preference using your customer account, even if the package is already on its way. In other cases, such as the USPS deliveries, you will need to arrange for a signature ahead of time.
· Have your packages delivered elsewhere, such as your place of employment, an Amazon delivery site, P.O. box, FedEx/UPS location or take advantage of “Ship to Store” option that many stores offer. It is well worth the minor inconvenience to ensure your packages are safe.
· Encourage trustworthy neighbors to watch for deliveries and agree to secure each other's packages. This includes being watchful for any stranger who is going onto porches or following delivery trucks.
· Track packages online to see exactly when they are on their way to your house. Take advantage of couriers' text notification service letting you know when a package has been delivered. Opt-in to receive the most up-to-date information available.
· Provide special instructions for where to place the delivered packages. A good place might be on the side or back of the house so that the package is out of sight from the street.
· Keep the access to your front porch clear and visible. This is also a burglary prevention tip. Thieves want to be able to get to and from your doorstep undetected. When they’re likely to be seen, they’re more likely to choose another target.
· Request nondescript packaging. When possible, ask senders not to announce where the package is coming from, especially if it’s from a high-end store. Sometimes this is possible through requesting a gift shipping option. Check the box labeled “Gift” to ensure your package comes in a plain box.
· Insure all valuable items.
Crime Watch – Crime Prevention Specialist
Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department – North District
605 E Westfield Boulevard, Suite 100
Indianapolis, IN 46220
Office: (317) 327-3781
Police - IFD - DHS - ACS - EMS – PSC
“It is easier to build up a child than it is to repair an adult…”
Copyright © 2020, The Old Northside Neighborhood Association